By Scott Dieckgraefe, Founder and President of Studio/D Marketing Communications
Public relations programs have long played an integral role in corporate marketing, but with the upswing of account based marketing (ABM) programs, particularly among B2B marketers, some now question where PR fits into their marketing plans.
ABM programs concentrate sales and marketing resources on a number of pre-identified high-opportunity prospects. Personalized relevant content is used to engage the prospects, build trust, and move them through their buyer’s journey.
At Studio/D, we continue to emphasize the role of PR in ABM plans, for a simple reason – for prospects to consider your company’s goods and services, they need to believe in your company.
Here are some simple public relations tactics that will help enhance your reputation and build your company’s credibility:
- Write, blog and pitch thought leadership pieces to media channels that service your prospect’s select industries/market segments.
- Place press releases about products, trends and applications.
- Pitch relevant case studies to media channels – publishers constantly seek great application stories, and you can provide needed content. Ensure these case studies mirror the relevant types of applications that your ABM prospects would utilize (industry, size, geography, challenges and opportunities, application use, buyers journey, etc.).
- Offer subject matter experts to publications for editorial inclusion in key stories they are writing.
- Issue press releases containing findings of research you’ve conducted regarding future trends, and thought leadership.
ABM requires the generation and distribution of relevant personalized content for your prospects. If you follow the above recommendations, you will generate substantial content. Importantly, the content supporting your company will carry the implied endorsement and validity of multiple media channels. The secret to successfully intertwine public relations with ABM efforts is to leverage the media coverage you generate.
Studio/D recommends using the following tactics to blend your PR work into an ABM program:
- Deliver the generated media clips to your select prospects through a personal letter or email, with personalized comments.
- Utilize LinkedIn to regularly deliver coverage clips to your prospects. Request that recipients follow your company.
- Tweet the generated media coverage to your prospects.
- Repurpose the coverage into sales materials.
- Post the earned PR clips to your owned and shared media channels (also helps with SEO).
When properly leveraged, public relations efforts can add significant punch to ABM efforts.
We urge you to start with these tips to integrate your public relations efforts into an account based marketing strategy.
Studio/D is a full-service marketing communications firm working with mid-market industrial and manufacturing clients, together with companies that support the manufacturing ecosystem. We’re a team of “makers” who simplify complex communication challenges with messaging that engages and drives results. Learn more about us at StudioD.agency, or call our president, Scott Dieckgraefe at 314-200-2630.